User Tag List

Thread: Banned episodes

Writes fanfiction Tactician Karina's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Banned episodes

As we know there are some Pokemon episodes that have been banned in the US, be it with the depiction of guns or something that happened in the plot of an episode that could be mistaken as a parody to a tragic event. But the US isn't the only country that banned episodes, Pokemon's home country Japan has banned (or simply just un-aired) a few as well, with the well known one being Electric Soldier Porygon.

Do you think some episodes shouldn't have been banned? Are there ones you're glad that have been banned?

-----------------------------------

For me it makes sense to ban episodes like Electric Soldier Porygon, it's an unfortunate event that caused people to have seizures or get sick so removing it was a good idea, though they should at least show the Porygon line in the series more instead of just mentions or one off cameos, it wasn't Porygon's fault the event happened.

For an episode that shouldn't have been banned, then it has to be the Dratini one for me. I mean I'm still confused why they remove it cause of guns, even though Team Rocket have used weapons on Ash and co. before. Also we have shows like Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry that show violence, I'm sure showing a gun in Pokemon isn't going to cause anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with you with banning Electric Soldier Porygon. Although they could have fixed it and changed that spot to something different. I also agree that the rest of the Porygon line shouldn't have to suffer.

As with the rest of the banned ones I mean come on its an Anime what did you expect. Team Rocket has used a bazooka but you can't show a damn gun come on now.
    VPP: Breloom @ 300

3. Likes Tactician Karina liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I refuse to watch Electric Soldier Porygon. I've seen only two banned episodes which were the Dratini one & that one where Brock had the Flu.

Honestly, yeah, Electric Soldier Porygon, I'm really glad that one is banned. They could have reduced the seizure inducing lights, and whatnot, though. That could have fixed the problem. I guess it was just better to ban it at the time, you know, due to it causing so many kids into the hospital. Banning Porygon altogether though was a terrible idea.... I can see why? That's just me.

Also, I feel like it was dumb to ban that Jynx episode. For the love of god, just recolor her purple. There was no offensive material in that episode anyway. But I guess black skinned Jynx = racism.
    On a semi-hiatus rn

5. Likes Tactician Karina liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest most of the time they have good reasons to ban episodes, so no I don't think there are any banned episodes that flat out shouldn't have been. I'll admit I was disappointed when Team Rocket vs Team Plasma was pulled, but it's understandable why they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Palamon View Post
    Also, I feel like it was dumb to ban that Jynx episode. For the love of god, just recolor her purple. There was no offensive material in that episode anyway. But I guess black skinned Jynx = racism.
    Um, while unintentional, Jynx's facial features + the black skin did make her look like a racist stereotype though. I do agree that redrawing her purple would have been better, but the ban was an easier option and it was not as irrational as you're making it seem.