User Tag List

Thread: Anime you find overrated?

Writes fanfiction Tactician Karina's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Anime you find overrated?

What is that one anime you find overrated, regardless if you like it or not?

For me I find Clannad and Clannad After Story to be overrated. I never got into it when I watched them, and a lot of people told me I'd feel moved and cry etc. but I never felt that. This was pretty much me when I watched them.

Of course there are series I like that are overrated as well (and might or might not be posted), but that's okay with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'd say Orange, who's summary on CrunchyRoll is this:

"During the spring of her second year of high school, Naho receives a letter. Its sender is herself from ten years in the future. Naho thinks it's a prank at first, but when the things written in the letter start to come true one by one, she realizes that the letter is telling her events that will happen in her future. It tells her that she'll fall in love with Kakeru, a new student who transfers to her school, and that he'll die in the winter of his 17th year. After learning the regrets and wishes of the 26-year-old Naho following Kakeru's death, what can the 16-year-old Naho do differently?"

This is a lovely, lovely series, however I just (spoilers ahead! don't read if you plan to watch this!)

Spoiler: 
    Found the main character a bit too frustratingly clueless at times, but very understandable at others. The ending point is also resolved by a bit of a deux ex machine, so the whole time travel thing, which is a really neat idea, kinda melts, but regardless was definitely an enjoyable series overall. It has very high ratings though, which I think it definitely deserves! I just wouldn't put it at the level of say, mha with the same ratings!

art by TheArmamentarium
    severity & chastity: 934

☆ ☆ ☆

Post Thanks / Like
    Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. It's...garbage, putting it nicely. I don't understand how it ever managed to get so popular when it relies on shock value to tell what passes for its story, and its sole purpose seems to be suffering for suffering's sake, rather than any sort of meaningful character development. In short, it's standard fare for Urobutcher. It it is NOT a deconstruction - people seriously need to look up what that word means before they go throwing it around - and...yeah, "overrated" is too kind of a term for it. The only thing remotely praiseworthy about it is the music.

I think Your Name is a little overrated, too...it didn't really deliver the emotional impact that it promised, and I actually got quite bored at points. It was like watching a poorer version of Kokoro Connect.
    Last edited by Dawn; 03-14-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Writes fanfiction Tactician Karina's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I forgot about Madoka Magica, I also find it to be overrated. Never really got into it and the designs for the characters weren't very appealing to me. I know quite a few people recommended it to me saying if I liked magical girl series I'll like this one, but nope; I also didn't see how it was a deconstruction of the trope either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Death Note.

The main character just a really, really awful person. He is evil and has no redeeming qualities except for his brain. Except nothing he does is really clever so much as arbitrarily guessing things because the plot allows him to. The story touches on questions "would you kill everyone if you could", but it doesn't do a good job of showing people being corrupted because we never knew Light as a nice, non-murderer in the first place.

I actually quite enjoy Madoka, so I think we might not agree on all of these. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Sword Art Online, lol.

I don't know why people even liked it....it's pretty terrible, even though it had a cool concept at the time.
    On a semi-hiatus rn

Post Thanks / Like
    tbh I find OPM overrated. But, I still overrate it for whatever reason.