User Tag List

Thread: From anime to live action

Writes fanfiction Tactician Karina's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

From anime to live action

So we know there have been various anime series that made it to the big screen as a live action movie, both in it's home country and in the US, with various reviews and opinions surrounding them. My personal favorites being GitS and Rurouni Kenshin, and least favorite being Dragonball Evolution and Attack on Titan just to name a few.

My question for you is, do you like that studios and producers want to make certain anime series into live action movies? Or do you feel they are better left as they are, and movies about a series should be animated?

(This also falls under the Media Hub section but I wasn't sure which section this thread would fit under more, sorry!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not very big into anime (haha- awkward), but I love me some good cartoons and can always appreciate good art/shows/movies. I actually don't really like this cartoon/animation --> live action theme that (in my opinion) has been plaguing Hollywood recently. They rely heavily on CGI, which can be stunning and look cool, but by using a lot of green screens, the actors are then made to use solely their imagination. Simply by taking that luxury away from the actors makes a large effect on their performance, like they're less believable or their reactions don't necessarily correspond to what's happening, unlike in movies where they use practical effects like in Jaws or Alien where their reactions are more realistic and believable because they are actually reacting to something and not just a big, green blob.

CGI also ages very quickly, like in only a year or two we can rewatch a show/movie and cringe at it compared to what is currently out there, but a well drawn, well animated show/movie is more a piece of art and can age beautifully (studio Ghibli and Loony Tunes comes to mind as good examples of this).

I think a reason a lot of people are doing this rehash of older shows/movies and making them live action, is more to bring in money than making a piece of art or entertainment. They pick things that people love and enjoy and just make it live action and BOOM, big office box money is coming their way. If they wanted to make something memorable, like the source material they're revamping, then I think they should either keep it animated and stylize it their own way (maybe change the story too, like if they're redoing an old Disney movie, put in some of the darker aspects of the original tales, or if redoing an anime about WWII, set it in modern day Iraq or something), or if they do make a live action, make it with practical effects more with minimal CGI.

(What would be really cool, would be if someone took live action movies and made them into high quality cartoons/anime, like Harry Potter, or Game of Thrones-- could be some good stuff right there!)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~

Super Moderator Voltaire Magneton's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock View Post
    I'm not very big into anime (haha- awkward), but I love me some good cartoons and can always appreciate good art/shows/movies. I actually don't really like this cartoon/animation --> live action theme that (in my opinion) has been plaguing Hollywood recently. They rely heavily on CGI, which can be stunning and look cool, but by using a lot of green screens, the actors are then made to use solely their imagination. Simply by taking that luxury away from the actors makes a large effect on their performance, like they're less believable or their reactions don't necessarily correspond to what's happening, unlike in movies where they use practical effects like in Jaws or Alien where their reactions are more realistic and believable because they are actually reacting to something and not just a big, green blob.

(What would be really cool, would be if someone took live action movies and made them into high quality cartoons/anime, like Harry Potter, or Game of Thrones-- could be some good stuff right there!)
    I've read a post somewhere that most live-action movies use so much CGI its basically more animated than live-action LOL It can't be helped for others, like in the live action movie of Assasination Classroom but then it's probably hard to make a yellow alien octopus from something that isn't CGI.

I'm actually more interested in live action to animated remakes ?? Especially when the artwork/style is lovely, sadly it's mostly just fanart and conceptual drawings rip

VPP: SOLROCK x LUNATONE @ 46 / 231

Writes fanfiction Tactician Karina's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock View Post

CGI also ages very quickly, like in only a year or two we can rewatch a show/movie and cringe at it compared to what is currently out there, but a well drawn, well animated show/movie is more a piece of art and can age beautifully (studio Ghibli and Loony Tunes comes to mind as good examples of this).

I think a reason a lot of people are doing this rehash of older shows/movies and making them live action, is more to bring in money than making a piece of art or entertainment. They pick things that people love and enjoy and just make it live action and BOOM, big office box money is coming their way. If they wanted to make something memorable, like the source material they're revamping, then I think they should either keep it animated and stylize it their own way (maybe change the story too, like if they're redoing an old Disney movie, put in some of the darker aspects of the original tales, or if redoing an anime about WWII, set it in modern day Iraq or something), or if they do make a live action, make it with practical effects more with minimal CGI.

There are some animated to live action movies I like but yeah it's getting kinda tiring they are doing this more and more now (like Disney, I miss their traditional animated movies). And it's gotta be kind of weird for some actors/actresses to try and react genuinely to something that requires that green screen, but some can pull it off, others eh.. not so much (especially when it comes to some Japanese live action anime movies).

And I agree that CGI can age badly since it does show as the years go on after it's release. Heck the live action Attack on Titan movies CGI are already bad and they came out in 2015!

But yeah a lot of live action adaptations are mostly made to bring in nostalgia money, I notice they are doing this practice with the more popular animated movies/shows. If something already has a big fanbase they'll try to cash in on it to get fans money and try to get the money from those unfamiliar with the original source; though in most cases, especially if it is adapted from Japanese animation, the movies will flop usually because the fans don't like their nostalgia goggles to be messed with (in some cases I don't blame them) or those unfamiliar with the source can find it confusing, boring, etc. depending on what said source is.

I would totally be down with an animated series of Harry Potter and Game of Thrones. Same for an animated The Lord of the Rings series, that would be cool! (I know they did an animated movie of it though)

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire Magneton View Post
    I've read a post somewhere that most live-action movies use so much CGI its basically more animated than live-action LOL It can't be helped for others, like in the live action movie of Assasination Classroom but then it's probably hard to make a yellow alien octopus from something that isn't CGI.

I'm actually more interested in live action to animated remakes ?? Especially when the artwork/style is lovely, sadly it's mostly just fanart and conceptual drawings rip
    Like the upcoming Lion King remake, they call it "live action" but it's all going to be CGI since there are, you know, no human characters (this isn't Kimba). Unless for some scenes they'll bring in actual animals and possibly add CGI over them, but if they're doing that then it's still animated lol.

That'll be a neat and interesting change though remaking a movie with animation instead, I'd be down for that!
    Last edited by Tactician Karina; 07-07-2018 at 12:28 AM.